Plumbing works Lismore City Council


Before commencing work, a plumber must obtain local council approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 for development activities and plumbing work, including water supply (B1), sewerage (B4), storm water drainage (B5) and private connections to public drains/sewers (B6 ) and waste disposal to a municipally controlled sewer (C4).

Permission may be sought through a standalone application or as part of a development application under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

To apply with a DA, check the Section 68 approval box on the form. For a stand-alone application, submit the Section 68 Fees and Plans application form to the Council.

Application for permission to exercise an activity (section 68)(PDF file, 229 KB)

Once approved, a licensed plumber must submit a work notice to the council at least 2 days before work begins, as required by the Plumbing and Drainage Act. There is no charge for this notification.

The installer must check all permit conditions that apply to the work. The Notice of Work can be applied for online or downloaded from NSW Fair Trading, together with the Combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Conformity and standard sewer maintenance diagram drawings to be completed and presented to Council.

The licensed plumber must request inspections by contacting the council on (02) 6625 0500. Typically, inspections can be paid for upon submission of the DA or work notification. It is the responsibility of the licensed plumber to ensure inspections are paid for before the inspections are booked. The number of inspections required depends on the type and nature of the work.

According to the Plumbing and Drainage Act, a licensed plumber must submit a certificate of compliance to the council within 2 days of the completion of the work.

If sewer work has been carried out, a sewer plan must be attached to the certificate.

If fire brigades or verifiable backflow preventers were installed, the installer must also submit test reports for these services with the certificate.

For more information contact the Development Engineer on (02) 6625 0500 or visit the NSW Fair Trading website.

You can find the Combined Labor Bulletin and Certificate of Conformity at NSW Fair Trading, as well as Standard Sewer Maintenance Diagram Drawings to print, fill out and send to Council.

apply for a job advertisement